Consultations for pain are organised exclusively by prior appointment.
- Opening hours: from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
- Telephone: +33(0)2 31 45 40 02
- Location: 4th floor ‘Consultations et Ateliers’ (on your left as you leave the lift)
For patients suffering from cancer, not cared for at the Centre François Baclesse, and who present with symptoms associated with cancer or its treatment, consultations are organised at the Pôle de Santé Saint-Laurent healthcare centre, by doctors from the Centre François Baclesse supportive care department. > Baclesse consultations at the Pôle santé Saint-Laurent healthcare centre in Caen
The centre has its own ‘Chronic Pain Unit’ to deal with patient pain, during and after cancer, in a pluri-professional and multidisciplinary manner. This unit is acknowledged by the Normandy ARS (regional health agency) since 22 January 2014.
The chronic pain unit at the Centre François Baclesse proposes:
- upon referral by your doctor, to evaluate pain (including complex therapy-resistant pain) requiring specific care.
- for psychological support in dealing with pain with a psychologist or a psychiatrist
- Medicinal and non-medicinal techniques:
- medication – oral or drip,
- Intervention by the Mobile Pain Team, comprised of a doctor and/or a nurse specialised in pain management. The mobile team intervenes essentially with patients who are hospitalised at the centre and whose treatment requires specific pain assessment or adjustment. The team intervenes upon written request from the care team, specifying the reason and the degree of urgency.
If you would like to improve your understanding of pain and your treatment, feel free to join the EFFADOL programme.
- Dr Franck Le Caer, physician in charge of pain management
- Dr Lauriane Fourel, physician specialised in pain management
- Maud Gicquere, nurse specialised in pain management
- Mathilde Kao, nurse specialised in pain management
- Marie Desnoyer, psychologist
In 2019, the chronic pain unit conducted 1,716 medical consultations and 1,880 nursing interventions.
Research and publications
- Cancer Pain and Patient Education: Strategy, Implementation, Difficulties and Opportunities of EFFADOL, a Regional Collaborative Programme. Prevost V, Delorme C, Leconte A, Le Chevalier A, Fourel L, Gicquere M, Grach MC, Le Caer F, Clarisse B. Journal of Cancer Education. 2020 Nov 19. doi: 10.1007/s13187-020-01924-w. PMID: 33215294.
- A supportive care dedicated hospitalization ward in comprehensive cancer center. Rambeau A, Renou M, Bisiaux F, Chaustier H, Joyaux C, Le Caer F, Fourel L, Solem-Laviec H, Poiree B, Corbinais S, Delorme C, Leloup-Morit V. Support Care Cancer. 2020 Dec;28(12):5781-5785. doi: 10.1007/s00520-020-05421-0. Epub 2020 Mar 27. PMID: 32219570.
- ‘Journée Régionale des Soins Oncologiques de Support’ (one-day regional event on oncology supportive care) with the Onconormandie network
- Participation and intervention at the AFSOS conference
- ATOSS work group within Unicancer
- Supervision of medical externs and anaesthesia nursing students for specific pain management consultation in the supportive care department